Fear. One of the enemy’s most popular weapons that he uses against us. Worry, anxiety, fear…can overwhelm us with a thick shadow of darkness, controlling our every move and decision.
So much crazy going on around us today – wars, conflicts, persecution, violence, crime, natural disasters, terrorism, economic uncertainty, unemployment, divisions, disease, death. We fear for our children’s future, we fear for our families, we fear for our financial future, we fear for our safety. The list goes on…long. There actually is a lot we could potentially worry about.
Yet reality tells us that so much of what we spend our time worrying about never even happens. Living under the weight of the “what if’s” is a hard place to dwell.
I struggled with fear and worry for years. But through time, I began to find that the things that once would have sent me down an anxious spiral, no longer had the same effect. It didn’t happen quickly, but over days, months, years.
I read words – of life – of truth. Soaking them in, over and over, praying them out loud. Until they became so familiar, they replaced the other things in my mind that I’d battled against. There’s nothing magical about words and verses, but there is power through them, because they’re God’s words.
Change happened. Anxious thoughts began to diminish. Worry let go of its constant grip. And though fear is sometimes still there, it no longer wields control, holding me back, paralyzing me in its grasp.
His words are “life” words, soothing to our soul, calming to our
spirits, giving power to our days.
It’s not always easy, and it often comes down to a choice:
- Choosing not to allow fear and anxiety to control your life.
- Choosing to guard your heart.
- Choosing to focus your mind on what is truth in the midst of uncertain times.
We might still feel afraid, but we can believe that God is with us. We may not be in control, but we can trust the One who is. We may not know the future, but we can know the God who does.
33 Verses to Remind Us – We Do Not Have to Fear:
1. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
2. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3
3. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
4. “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.” John 14:27
5. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
6. “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1 John 4:18
7. “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” Psalm 94:19
8. “But now, this is what the Lord says…Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” Isaiah 43:1
9. “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” Proverbs 12:25
10. “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4
11. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
12. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34
13. “Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time. Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7
14. “Tell everyone who is discouraged, Be strong and don’t be afraid! God is coming to your rescue…” Isaiah 35:4
15. “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” Luke 12:22-26
16. “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
17. “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” Psalm 55:22
18. “Immediately he spoke to them and said, ‘Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.’” Mark 6:50
19. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
20. “’For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, for I myself will help you,’ declares the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.” Isaiah 41:13-14
21. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
22. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper.” Psalm 118:6-7
23. “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs 29:25
24. “He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” Mark 4:39-40
25. “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.” Psalm 34:7
26. “But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don’t worry or be afraid of their threats.” 1 Peter 3:14
27. “I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4
28. “Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.” Deuteronomy 3:22
29. “Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.’” Revelation 1:17
30. “Jesus told him, ‘Don’t be afraid; just believe.’” Mark 5:36
31. “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” Romans 8:38-39
32. “The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.” Zephaniah 3:17
33. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”…He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you…For he will command his angels concerning you, to guard you in all your ways…“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him…” from Psalm 91:1-16
Be assured, He is with you in whatever you face, in the turmoil and struggles, amidst the anxious thoughts and the worries of life. He is there, strengthening, helping, and He holds you in His hands.
God is greater. He gives us the power to live courageously, boldly, fearlessly in this life, when many things that surround us would tell us to be afraid. His truth whispers strong and sure to the deepest core of our spirits.
“Do not fear.”
All of that stuff on your mind? Give it to Him – again. Replace those fearful thoughts with His words of truth. And sleep in peace tonight. He knows what concerns you, He’s got you covered.
(This article first posted here a few yrs. ago at Fresh Day Ahead, and was also shared at http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/33-verses-to-remind-us–we-do-not-have-to-fear.html)
Harriette Douglas says
ALL praise and glory to God and thank you, Debbie! Great on-time encouragement that I needed so desperately. Hallelujah! Your article has helped me tremendously and reminded me to cast my cares on Him…..again. Sweet Jesus, our Mighty God is so Faithful! I love Him! What concerns me….concerns Him. I’m encouraged to trust Him even the more.
Thank you so much for your words Harriette & yes, agree, what concerns us, concerns Him, He cares & is with us in everything. Blessings to you!
I love finding your site. My 2mobold granddaughter is having a heart procedure tomorrow. I pray for God to watch over her and her parents. I pray for peace and strength and that everything will go well and she will become a heathy girl and live a long happy life.
Debbie, I’ve been praying for you today, for healing for your granddaughter, and for peace & strength for you all…Thankful you are here & thank you for sharing about what your family is walking through. God’s blessings to you!
I just corrected my email.
I came upon your Facebook page tonight which was just what I needed. I have let Satan fill me with worry, fear and anxiety. My husband lost his job 3 years ago. He is frustrated and feeling low. We sold our home and relocated back “home” after 30 years in hopes of him finding a job and so much more that’s been taken away from him. Nothing yet, including a home, but He has provided temporary accommodations for a few months. I’m trying to piece it all together and figure out how this is all going to work out. Your words reminded me that I don’t have to figure it out but rather God will, and is, figuring it out for me. I have to believe He is putting the right people and circumstances in place for us, even though we can’t figure out how this is ever going to end. I pray God will bless my husband with a great job soon. 3 years is a long time. Thank you again for sharing on fear and anxiety!
Are the verses you listed Kjv? I was going to copy and paste the right quick but just checking… Thanks 🙂
Thanks so much for sharing this post! I’m printing it off and sticking it to the wall for myself and also my teenage daughter.
christa sterken says
“Yet reality tells us that so much of what we spend our time worrying about never even happens. Living under the weight of the “what if’s” is a hard place to dwell.”
What wisdom, I am really looking forward to saving this post to refer back to. I have fought anxiety for a long, long time. Appreciate your sweet post!
Thank you for being an instrument of his love and consolation. You bring to remembrance the goodness of God. My family has dealt with a myriad of unending health issues and sometimes I think God has forgotten us in the midst of our desperation. Thank you for bringing His words of hope to life. God bless your service.
I stumbled across this anointed woman of God by coincidence but we know this was divine guidance to address the tools of the enemy that have plagued my life mentally and spiritually! Thank you for helping me to see I am not alone in this struggle and can, will overcome!
lisa h iovine says
PRAISE THE LORD! thank you for truth and using your gifts for the glory of God!
Linda Grinnell says
I love the words you wrote and the scriptures you provided about fear and anxiety. I have a prayer ministry for people battling cancer and I will be using many of these scriptures to encourage and uplift them because many of them truly are walking “in the valley of shadow and death.”
Thank you–with much love to you and your beautiful family!
Kellie Vogt says
Thank you! I needed these verses Nancy! God bless you!
I am 18 years old and I turn 19 in a few months.
I have been a happy child all my life and never ever struggled with fear or any type of anxiety. As of recently and due to alot of overwhelming events that have occurred, I found myself getting scared of the future and worrying about my generation. I developed anxiety and a constant fear that clouded my mind so much that I started suffering from insomnia and stopped doing daily important routines. I had my first big anxiety attack and didn’t even know how to react because I had never experienced something like that in my life. This just contributed to the anxiety even more and got me to over think many aspects of life. But I noticed and realised that after praying every night, my heart feels lighter, I feel happier and I even feel tired enough to go to sleep immediately. I read verses for anxiety as much as I can and I pray much more. I wish more people my age can know how much God loves them and turn their hearts towards Him. Many people my age are having the same mental challenges and some even suffer worse than me with depression. I pray that they just find Him. To not be ashamed of Him, to not be afraid of Him. He will never shut you out and He FORGIVES.
Asking for you to pray for my little family for our move to California for a new beginning and looking for God’s calling in our life. We have taken so long to answer to Gods calling. pray for my husband paper for residency here in state for over 20years. Asking for God’s favor providing for the finance and how to processing it correctly in Jesus name, I believe what is impossible to men its possible to God. Praise God that I accidently came across your page amen
Nada Kandučar says
Ohrabruje me Božja riječ “BUDI MIRNA I ZNAJ DA SAM JA BOG”
this pandemic has lost me my dignity, my health, my children, grandchildren, cousins, sisters, brother, brother in laws, nieces, nephews, great nieces, great nephews, concern of well being, allergies where we live, god put us here, we are back with pot in the hallways, a non smoking, non pet policy in place. with no one site to address the issue, no christmas, no thanksgiving, no birthdays, no shopping, no walking outside, no freedom to go anywhere, or do anything, not even a puzzle of a book, red alert on our city and country in disarray, we do not have proper procedures in place for people suffering and dying.