I’m so thankful…that God is the God of do-overs. He’s the God of second chances. He’s the God of fresh starts, clean slates, new chapters, another day, and hope.
He’s the God of hope.
And as certain as the sun rises every morning, is the certainty that He has a plan and purpose for each day He gives us here.
Yet maybe sometimes we feel like we’ve blown it, like we’ve wasted too much time on unimportant things, or that we’ve let years go by still holding on to what we should have released long ago. Maybe we feel like we can’t get free from old labels that have attached themselves too securely to who we are even today.
And we’ve lost our hope…
He knows. He understands. And He offers us another chance, today, this day, to move forward. That’s where He’s leading us, forward, into a fresh start. He never intends us to stay stuck where we are. Let’s leave the old stuff behind, releasing the fears and uncertainties that have held us back for way too long. He’s the One who gives courage to step into new territory. He’s the One who leads our way. He’s given us story after story in His Word to remind us we’re not alone. Others who had blown it too, made mistakes, or wasted time, and lived too long distracted by other things.
– The apostle Paul was once Saul, a persecutor of Christians, until he met Jesus on the road one day. He was blinded by light, God touched his eyes. Paul saw differently then, he was given a fresh start and new purpose in life. God used this one man to lead countless others into new life through Christ, opening the eyes of the blind. God is a life-changer, and He has great plans for us.
– Rahab was a prostitute, until God redeemed her life. He gave her purpose and meaning, through her act of faith and obedience to Him, He touched her heart and set her on a new course, establishing her in the lineage of Christ. For God is a Redeemer.
– Moses was driven by fear and uncertainty, afraid to even speak God’s words. He had killed an Egyptian and run far away. But God knew where he was hiding, and He had a plan. He became his strength in ways Moses had never known, he led over a million people out of Egypt, and became a great leader. God set them free, He released the captives.
– Zacchaeus was a tax collector and thief, until Jesus spotted him among the crowds, made time to eat with him, and spend time at his house. His life was changed, forgiven, set free, and he became a great giver. God gave him a new purpose.
– David himself, known as a man after God’s own heart, allowed his affection for other things to lead him straight into temptation. He had a man killed, he took another’s wife, he lied, he covered, until broken and bruised, he came clean with God. In great mercy, God forgave, and though he still faced consequences for sin, the Lord was with him. For even when we fail, He never fails. Even when we’re faithless, God remains faithful.
So many stories, but they all point to Him. His reminder to us, He can take what little we feel like we have to offer him this new year – our brokenness, our time or lack of it, our mistakes, our weaknesses, and He can do great things through it all. Don’t ever doubt it. His power is great, nothing is impossible with Him, and He is faithful…
Keep reaching ahead. He has good in store.
“The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.” 1 Thes. 5:24
“…Behold, I am making all things new…” Rev. 21:5
“…but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead.” Phil. 3:13
(This article posted also at Crosswalk, http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/the-god-of-do-overs.html)
Christina Kopp says
Thank you Debbie, that you are faithful to what the Lord calls you to do. That is to lift the spirits of others, to bring refreshment to the body of Christ through the Word of Christ. I am blessed that the Lord uses you to write about the things hidden in our hearts, that though they cry to be let out we often can’t find the voice to do so. Thank you for raising me up in encouragement thru Scripture, that I have a constant reminder of the love and grace of our Lord and Savior. Many blessing to you and yours through Christ who gives us hope.
Christina, thank you so much for your encouragement, such a breath of fresh air into my day. Thankful you are here, and so agree, He alone is our Hope. Huge blessings to you my friend…
Amazing Grace how he just keeps on giving us Grace After Grace thanks Debbie
Everytime I came across with your writing, I cannot help but share it on my FB wall, praying that someone out there would be bless too by reading your word of encouragements, as inspired by God’s own word. I used it for my daily reflection and as my devotional. I thank God for using you uplift some weary soul who needs breath of life from GOD. Truly, no one can ever give us HOPE like JESUS does. More sharing years to you..God bless DEBBIE.
Dr. K. Lee Banks says
I echo your comments about being thankful God is a God of do-overs and second chances and fresh starts! That’s good to remember any time, but especially as we leave the old year behind and enter this first month of a new year.