Woke up this morning, burdened, spirit heavy, thoughts swirling before my feet even touched the ground.
Ever been there?
There’s so much in this life we can start to feel anxious about, even when we know Truth and believe that God’s in control. It can still be a daily battle in our hearts, in our minds.
Here’s hope from God’s Word, if you find yourself discouraged, struggling, or weary:
“I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.” Psalm 121:1-8
Thankful for a dear friend, who texted me this Scripture this morning, with the reminder to “look up.”
Because when we just keep looking all around, we can easily get defeated.
Drained. Impatient. Or cynical.
We might start to worry. Fear creeps in. We lose our focus because we’re so distracted on all the things that can never really give us strength and hope anyway.
People won’t ever be the answer for our every need. Money and success can’t ever satisfy the void deep inside that only God can fill. This world will never be free of all conflict. The government won’t ever fix all of our problems. It can’t. Because no matter who’s President, no matter what we face in this life, God’s still on the throne.
Choosing today, to set my eyes on God. For if He made all of heaven and earth, surely He has a Sovereign, incredible plan, for you and for me. He knows our way in this journey of life, and He’s a “with us” God.
5 Truths from Psalm 121 that Give Us Hope for Today:
– “My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” v.2 He’s All-powerful. God is a mountain mover and Creator of heaven and earth. He’s with us, always. He breathes help and strength into our souls, into our day.
– “He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.” v. 3 He won’t allow us to fall. We may find ourselves on slippery slopes, or the path we’re walking seems to be full of potholes and obstacles. But the God who knows all, knows our way. And even when we stumble, as our eyes are fixed on Him, He will keep our footsteps firm. For He watches over us and never sleeps or slumbers.
– “The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.” v. 5 He keeps us, safe, in His care. He protects us like the shade protects from the heat of the day. Why the “right hand?” Because it is known as the hand that works, so we can be assured that whatever He’s given us to do in this life, His covering of protection rests over all of our work and efforts.
– “The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.” v. 7 He protects us from “all evil,” not some, but “all.” It does not have the final say over our lives. Fear of death, disease, and hardship has lost its sting, for our lives are hidden with Christ in God. No matter who or what we’re rubbing shoulders with each day, God’s power is greater than whatever darkness we might face. For He is the soul-keeper and He holds all of our tomorrows.
– “The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.” v. 8 He watches over us, constantly, His eyes are towards us. He cannot look away from those He loves. He watches our coming and our going, and all in between. He watches over our family and children, even when we cannot see. We do not have to worry, for He strongly supports those whose hearts are His.
“For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.” 2 Chronicles 16:9
He is our Hope.
Thank you for your reminders that you are surely with us. Thank you that you watch over our coming and going, and that you neither slumber or sleep. Thank you for your constant care, that you are our help and strength in the daily battles that we face. Thank you that you are our Protector and Defender against the schemes of the enemy and the evil that tries to overtake us. We believe that no weapon formed against us will prosper in this life, because you are always greater, and our lives are hidden with Christ. We are safe with You. We choose today to keep our eyes off our problems, and fixed solely on you. We choose to look up, for you alone are our Hope.
In Jesus’ Name,
Grace to you this day.
(This article also appeared on Crosswalk here: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/debbie-mcdaniel/when-lifes-draining-you-dry-look-up-hope-from-psalm-121.html.)